- Do not buy if you cannot commit to staying put for a few years unless you are considering a second or vacation home.
- Check your credit history.
- Aim for a home that fits your long term budget.
- Get pre-approved by a lender.
- If a loan is necessary or desired then get pre-qualified; shop around for a mortgage as they are not all equal. Ask for clarification of all unknown terms or conditions to ensure your complete understanding.
- Get professional help; a good realtor and lender will smooth the road to a new home.
- Do your homework before offering a price. Ask your realtor for recent comparable sales.
- Have a home inspection by a qualified individual.
- Read the following articles for more in-depth explanation of the points above:
For brand new buyers